If you couldn’t tell by the cooler weather and that it’s dark by 8pm, Fall has graced us with its presence. The arrival of Fall makes us want to curl up with a blanket by the fire and read a good book. But before that can be done, there are important checks to be done around your home to ensure your R&R doesn’t stand for anything other than rest and relaxation.
It is important to inspect your home on a regular basis. Each season there are necessary checks and maintenance to perform in order to protect your investment in your home. Whether you take care of a few tasks at a time or several all at once, it is important to make home maintenance a habit. A regular schedule of seasonal maintenance can help eliminate the most common, and often costly, problems before they occur.
Here are some of the things The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation recommends doing for Fall:
1. Have your furnace or heating system serviced by a qualified service company every two years for a gas furnace, and every year for an oil furnace, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
2. If you have central air conditioning, make sure the drain pan under the cooling coil mounted in the furnace plenum is draining properly and is clean.
3. Lubricate circulating pump on hot water heating system.
4. Check chimneys for obstructions such as nests.
5. Vacuum electric baseboard heaters to remove dust.
6. Check and clean or replace furnace air filters each month during the heating season. Ventilation system, such as heat recovery ventilator, filters should be checked every two months.
7. Check smoke, carbon monoxide and security alarms, and replace batteries.
8. Check sump pump and line to ensure proper operation, and to ascertain that there are no line obstructions or visible leaks.
9. Ensure windows and skylights close tightly; repair or replace weatherstripping, as needed.
10. Cover outside of air-conditioning units and shut off power.
11. Clean leaves from eaves troughs and roof, and test downspouts to ensure proper drainage from the roof.
12. Have well water tested for quality. It is recommended that you test for bacteria every six months.